Embezzlement Defense Attorney
Trusted embezzlement lawyers serving Fairfax, VA and surrounding areas
Embezzlement is a specific type of white collar theft crime. Generally, it involves allegations of theft by an employee or by another person who was put into a position of ‘trust’. The Commonwealth of Virginia has very strict embezzlement laws — if you are accused of stealing more than $200 in money or property, you could face a felony embezzlement charge that carries substantial jail time. It is critical that you seek out a Fairfax, VA Embezzlement Attorney.
At Leary Law, our skilled Virginia Fairfax VA Embezzlement Attorney offers strong and sophisticated legal representation to our clients. We understand the inherent complexity of white collar crime charges, including embezzlement cases. If you or your family member is facing felony or misdemeanor embezzlement charges in Northern Virginia, immediate action is essential. Contact our Fairfax office or Manassas office today to schedule a fully confidential initial consultation.
Virginia Law: Embezzlement Charges
Under Virginia law (Code of Virginia § 18.2-111), embezzlement is defined as the wrongful or fraudulent use of money, assets, or other property of value that was entrusted to the defendant. Generally, embezzlement charges involve allegations against an employee. Though, these charges can also be filed against other parties who were placed in a privileged position by the alleged victim. Embezzlement charges will fit into one of the following two categories:
- Misdemeanor Embezzlement: If you are accused of taking money or property that is valued at less than $200, you could face misdemeanor embezzlement charges. While certainly not as serious as a felony offense, misdemeanor embezzlement is still punishable by up to 12 months in prison.
- Felony Embezzlement: In Virginia, using a position of trust to unlawfully take money or property that is worth more than $200 could lead to felony embezzlement charges. This is a very serious criminal offense. Even though $200 is a relatively modest threshold, felony embezzlement is still subject to a maximum sentence of 20 years in prison.
Why Choose the Embezzlement Defense Attorneys at Leary Law
Embezzlement charges are extremely serious. Not only could an embezzlement accusation destroy your career and your professional reputation, it could result in you having a permanent criminal record and even you losing your freedom. At Leary Law, our Fairfax, VA embezzlement defense lawyers know how to best protect the rights of our clients. We are prepared to:
- Conduct a comprehensive, confidential consultation;
- Carefully listen to your situation and explain your options to you;
- Investigate your case, gathering any and all exonerating evidence; and
- Craft an effective, personalized legal defense strategy.
We give each and every client the attention that their case rightfully deserve. Embezzlement cases are complicated. You may be facing these charges after a misunderstanding or under wholly false pretenses. Our defense lawyers are always prepared to mount an aggressive defense to get unjust embezzlement charges dropped by prosecutors. Of course, in other circumstances, it may be advisable to focus on reducing punishment, keeping you out of prison and securing your future. We will offer honest and practical legal guidance at every stage of the criminal justice process.
Speak to Our Virginia Embezzlement Charges Defense Attorneys Today
At Leary Law, we are prepared to fight vigorously to protect your legal rights. If you or your loved one was arrested and charged with embezzlement or any other similar white collar offense, you need aggressive legal representation. To set up a strictly confidential initial consultation with an experienced attorney, please call us today. From our law office in Manassas and Fairfax, our legal team represents defendants throughout Northern Virginia, including in Fairfax County, Arlington County, Prince William County, and Loudoun County.