Violent Crime Defense Attorneys
Trusted violent crime defense lawyers serving Fairfax, VA and surrounding areas
Individuals accused of violent crimes often understand the danger of a conviction. The question, however, is who can defend them against such serious charges? Violent crimes are serious criminal offenses that carry the possibility of substantial jail time and a permanent criminal record. You should immediately consult with an experienced and knowledgeable criminal defense attorney.
Whether you are facing a misdemeanor assault charge or a more serious offense such as murder, manslaughter or robbery, you must understand that the least serious of these offenses carries a possibility of up to 12 months in jail and a $2,500 fine in addition to any other conditions a court could impose.
The gravity of the offense, that is, the nature of the violent act and the injuries sustained by the alleged victim, plays a significant role in the punishment you may face and the complexity of your case. Punishment for serious violent crimes can range from years in prison to life imprisonment or in some circumstances the death penalty.
Possible violent criminal offenses are as follows:
- Domestic violence: In cases involving spouses, roommates or other household members, a silly dispute can quickly escalate into something far more serious. Every situation involving an allegation of assault amongst individuals who know each other carries unique facts driven by the nature of the relationship between the parties. The ensuing charges following a domestic dispute have far-reaching implications. Charges of domestic assault impact the relationship of the parties involved and the individual facing prosecution.
- Assault: A charge of simple assault and battery can arise from a fight between two people and result in prosecution. In addition to representing individuals facing charges of simple assault, Ms. Leary also represents those charged with disorderly conduct, reckless endangerment or who face the serious charge of assaulting a law enforcement officer.
- Robbery: Under certain conditions, a criminal conviction for using force or intimidation to take someone else’s property can result in a life sentence. Given the seriousness of the crime, it is necessary to speak with an experienced attorney with the necessary skill, reputation and dedication to obtain proper representation.
- Murder: Homicide in Virginia includes capital murder, first-degree murder, second-degree murder, and voluntary and involuntary manslaughter. These offenses carry the possibility of significant jail time, including life in prison and, in some cases, exposure to the imposition of the death penalty. If you are charged in a homicide, you should speak with an attorney immediately.
- Other violent offenses: The firm also represents those accused of malicious and unlawful wounding, abduction, arson and offenses involving the use of a gun. At Leary Porter Law, clients find trial lawyers with a respected reputation for success.
Contact Experienced Fairfax and Manassas Domestic Violence Attorneys
If you are charged with a violent crime, call 703-359-7111, or contact the offices by email to arrange a free consultation at our Farifax or Manassas office as soon as possible.